- Applicant must be at least 18 years of age.
- Applicant must be in good health and physically able to perform all phases of the work. Applicant may be subject to drug testing prior to being eligible for employment.
- Applicant must be able to read, write, and speak the English language in order to comprehend instructions on the job, to complete related training classes, and to insure personal and coworker safety on the job.
- Applicant must complete an application form containing a complete school record and previous work experience, and submit it to the Joint Apprenticeship Committee's administrative office.
- Prior to taking the qualification test, applicant must show proof of high school graduation from an accredited secondary school in the United States, or provide a certificate showing satisfactory scores on the General Education Development (GED) test.
- Applicant must produce documentation of his or her eligibility for employment in the United States prior to taking the qualification test.
- Applicant must have an educational background in algebra and geometry sufficient to obtain a satisfactory score (75% or higher) on the Surveyors Joint Apprenticeship Qualification Test.
- Chief of party apprenticeship applicants must have completed the Southern California Surveyors Joint Apprenticeship Committee's chainman apprenticeship program, or its equivalent.
Qualifications Test Procedures
Applicants will be notified by mail of the date, time, and location of the qualification test. Applicants will be notified in writing of his or her acceptance or, if rejected, the reasons for his or her rejection.
Having met all of the above qualifications, applicants will receive a letter of notification which may be used to seek employment in the manner prescribed by the master agreement between the Employer Association and I.U.O.E., Local No. 12. The master agreement will be explained in detail at an orientation for all applicants who pass the qualifications test.